Thursday, September 24, 2009

Stepping Through Transition

When they cut my salary by 9% a few months ago, I immediately cancelled the newspaper but since that didn't help much, I had to look for more ways to come up with that 9%. It wasn't easy. I was already living lean I thought.

So I had to man up and admit it > the gym membership was the next choice. As an alternative to the elliptical and a press once or twice a week, I started walking. My neighborhood is quite hilly and on a good day I walk in the door a sweaty mess.

Fast forward to July 13 and The Great Purge. Three-hundred-plus of us were let go. Unfortunately I've been here before. I called outplacement but they wouldn't let me in for a week.

So I took a walk. The next day I walked my route twice. A few times, I'd get in three. At 2 miles each, I was doing pretty well. Then I started going to outplacement, took some sessions and worked at a workstation just as nice as the one I left. I felt like a real person when I was there.

Fast forward again and I'm done with outplacement and getting involved with different networking groups in Rockland County (NY) and Bergen County (NJ).

I've traveled to Suffern, Wayne, Wyckoff and Oakland. A big black bear ran in front of my car on the way to Laid Off Camp yesterday. I enjoy these events a lot and I've met some very intelligent and future hard-working people.

Today, the sun drew me outside and I decided to take my walk but at Nyack Beach State Park.
Its more than a couple miles back and forth, the river is wide and sparkly and the Tappan Zee Bridge looks pretty in the distance. It's not so pretty driving across it twice a day I can tell you that.

On the walk back with two books and a bench waiting for me ("Julie and Julia" and "The Secret") I wondered why all the networking events played out like board meetings, 12-step programs or happy hours. I'm not complaining; like I said I enjoy them.

But the fall is coming and its my favorite season and I want to make sure I keep on walking.

So here I am with this first step. The second is to try and find other folks who want to walk and talk at the same time. Walk for health and talk about opportunities.

Are you out there and ready to step through transition?


No comments:

Post a Comment