Friday, September 25, 2009

Steps Along the Hudson

Today the sunshine drew me to the river again but I walked alone. That's the opposite of my goal, but I walked anyway.

Markers painted on rocks cite your progress at one quarter, one half, one mile and one and one quarter miles. That's a popular turn around point, one and one quarter mile. There are picnic tables here in a shady spot offering a clear view of a famous prison on the Westchester shore.

There were many walkers with happy, smiling pups both on leash and off which I do not like.

The parking lot was full when I left to get ready for Tomorrrow's Workplace. I spent about four hours there this afternoon, mostly organizing pieces of paper and printing even more - articles on breathing, networking events throughout October, jobs I've applied for and such. Can't let a preposition dangle, there.

I also researched the career sections of local companies like Chromalloy, Wenger, Fiske. Nobody had nothin'.

But I did reach out to an exec I know at a non-profit. I have a meeting scheduled with her next week -face to face. I've interviewed at United Way and Waterkeeper Alliance and the interviews went pretty well so I wanted to pick my friend's brains about pitching non-profits and see what they are all up to in regard to events, fund-raising and such.

I also connected with an out of work exec I met at outplacement in July. High level guy. He was on vacation and is interested in all the networking I've been doing. He'd be a good guy to bring in for some of the folks at the Monday morning group.

Also connected with a former colleague who has been auf'ed (thanks Project Runway) from more companies than anyone I know. He was like Switzerland. He got along with everyone and everyone loves him. He's a financial planner now (Ameriprise, I think) and we are going to get everyone together for dinner in the next couple of weeks. My Vistaprint business cards should be ready by then.

Then the real networking will start.

Stepping through transition!



No comments:

Post a Comment